Friday, February 11, 2011

Common Questions

When we are out and about with the triplets or someone finds out we have triplets there are a lot of questions/comments about our unique situation.  Some are funny, some are uninformed, and others are sweet.  It is pretty rare that someone says something completely rude, but it has happened.  Here is a sample of common comments and questions we get:
  • Are they boys, girls?  I don't take much offence to this, no one wants to make assumptions these days.  Of course we have two boys and one girl.
  • Are they natural?  Most people are asking this because they want to know if I needed fertility treatments.  The answer is yes, I took some fertility drugs but was blessed that they worked during the second round and we did not have to pursue more aggressive treatments.  Many people assume I had in vitro, which I did not.  Now if I was in a bad mood I might say "well they are breathing aren't they?"  I would caution that some mothers may be extra sensentative about this because infertility can be an emotional roller coaster, so tread lightly if you ask someone else! 
  • Who is the oldest?  Most people assume Carter (as the biggest) is the oldest.  They are shocked to learn that their birth order is in reverse of weight (Addie being the lightest and oldest, then Jack, then Carter).
  • Are any of the identical?  Let me clear one thing up, boys and girls cannot be identical...ever.  Think about it.  Our boys are not identical and each baby had three separate sacks.  It is possible to have a mix of identical and fraternal in high order multiples, but ours are all fraternal. 
  • Did you have them naturally?  NO!!!!  Triplets are automatically high risk and therefore a c-section is almost a requirement. 
  • How do you do it?   I addressed this in a previous post.  This is BY FAR the most common question.  I think it is mostly asked as a rhetorical question.  If I do answer I usually make sure to mention how much Paul, Nanny Kelly, and our families do.  I guess my short answer should be something like "teamwork and structure." 
  • You have your hands full.  Not really a question, but we get it a lot.  Our typical response goes something like "yes but this is all we know" or "we wouldn't have it any other way." 
  • Better you than me.  Again, not a question as much as a reaffirmation that it IS in fact better that we ended up with triplets vs. the person talking...
  • Rudest thing we have had happen:  We were leaving the upscale grocery store near our house (we walked there 2 weeks ago during nicer weather) and this woman walked out, looked at us, shook her head slowly, and said "I'm sorry."  Perhaps she was apologizing for shoplifting something and needed to get it off her chest, I feel certain that she was not sorry we had three beautiful, healthy children.  By the way, we just walked away uncertain of how to respond.
  • Nicest thing we have had happen:  The first time we took the triplets out to dinner alone we went to a local Mexican food restaurant (back in early summer).  Normally we try to go with our neighbors, or other family who don't have children.  This older couple was sitting near us (as it was fairly early the place was not very full).  As we were leaving the gentlemen called me over to the table and said "I want you to know that you children are so well behaved."  I beamed with pride.  I am in complete agreement that they are adorable but we really make it a point to try to promote good behavior, especially in public.  This was such a nice complement! 
Overall, most people are very nice and most are just curious about our situation.  Paul and I choose to take the comments with a grain of salt, otherwise we might start thinking the triplets could do no wrong... 

No comments:

Post a Comment