Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Problem solving

I think I mentioned once before that my life is all about finding the best process for any given task involving the triplets. It reminds me of a book I had to read in my Baylor management course called "The Goal" (you business majors know what book I am talking about...a thinly veiled textbook that reads like a story). I am always trying to find the bottleneck in my process!

The first key to success is having the right tools at your fingertips. So hence the nursery, some say it looks more like a day care center with all the stuff we have fit into this room!

Each baby has their own crib that is color coded. We chose a love seat and storage bench vs a rocking chair or glider. This way 3 people can comfortably sit and feed babies. It has worked out great! When you have preemies they teach you NOT to rock them in the NICU. So ours have not gotten used to that at all. Plus we try to put them in their cribs awake so they can learn to fall asleep on their own. I know this may sound harsh, but we don't have enough hands to rock each one to sleep, that is a process we cannot maintain!

Carter is blue, and Jackson is green. Each crib has a drawer underneath for linens.

Adelaide is of course pink. My aunt Barb made their beautiful afghan blankets. It is a little hard to see them in these pictures, but they are stunning. When we have to take the triplets somewhere on a cold day these blankets are essential. We always get tons of compliments!

As you can see we have our changing table, two diaper genies, two dressers, and our shelves have baskets with supplies. It is hard to see but on the far dresser is a booklet where we track what each baby eats, what kind of diaper they had, what time they ate, and any other points of the day. It helps me so much because it is difficult to remember what happened on any given day.

Here is the other corner of our room. Each basket has supplies that we use daily. And yes, there is a TV in their room...it is really for us since we spend a ton of time in the nursery. I think I spend more time in there than any other room in the house now.

We have three boppies (pillows on the right). Whoever invented those is clearly a very rich person, but they deserve a Nobel Peace Prize! The other pillows were made by Mrs. Sandra, my best friend Andrea's mom.

Feeding three babies at once is quite a task. Since I mix their bottles one time per day I am able to grab three out of the refrigerator (each has a cap with the cordinating initial). Then I use three bottle warmers to warm each to room temperature. Next I change each diaper. I always swaddle the boys because their hands get moving a lot and they tend to fight the bottle unintentionally while trying to hold it. I get the boys all set up then put Addie in the middle. I prop the boy's bottles up and hold on to hers. This actually leaves me with one hand free. The tricky part comes when burping. I have to somehow remove a baby without disturbing the other two eating. Doesn't always work, but we usually get half way done with all three eating at once. When Paul is here one of us feeds the boys together and the other feeds Adelaide since she spits so much.

I keep all three boppies close at hand for when they are finished eating. I do all this on the floor because I feel safest there. Not very far for anyone to fall!

Big Carter was wide awake after his last meal (and still is, I can hear him grunting as I type this)!

Adelaide was super sleepy after the last meal. So far she has not spit, but the day is still young!

Handsome Jack was drifting off to sleep before I took a picture and the flash woke him up. He is in bed quiet as a mouse right now.

All of these processes will of course change and evolve. I am not saying my ways are the only ways, they just work best for me. Please say a little prayer for me as I have to return to work tomorrow. I know this is always hard for new moms so I expect it to be a very emotional day. We are still trying to find a nanny and working through some prospects. In the meantime, Paul's mom, my mom, and Paul are going to tag team caring for the triplets.

No comments:

Post a Comment